LEROY FINKEL FELLOWSHIP
THE DEADLINE TO SUBMIT YOUR BIG IDEA IS
FRIDAY, JANUARY 17, 2020 at 11:59 PM PST!
The LeRoy Finkel Fellowship, or LeRoy’s Big Idea, is intended to promote leadership in the field of educational technology. CUE “Fellows” will:
- Strengthen professional skills;
- Develop an innovative technology-enhanced curriculum project, aligned to curriculum standards; and
- Share their ideas and strategies through the OnCUE Journal, conferences, websites, social media and much more.
To complete your entry, simply submit BOTH a 60-second video and complete the short form. (Estimated time on task = 10 minutes)
How to Apply:
VIDEO PORTION DETAILS:
Create and upload a 60-second video of your lesson or project idea on our CUE LeRoy Flipgrid (link coming soon). Need help navigating Flipgrid? Access their helpful resources here.
It should be an innovative technology-enhanced curriculum project that is standards-aligned, replicable and relevant. Excite us with your idea, share your students trying your idea — and most importantly — HAVE FUN!! The idea should cost no more than $1,000, but have potential to scale up to a bigger idea that could be funded at full fellowship level of $2,000 should you become the next LeRoy Finkel Fellow.
WRITTEN PORTION DETAILS:
Complete the online application, including a brief explanation of your idea, detail on how your Big Idea is educationally impactful in your classroom or region, and how you’d spend the $1,000 budget.
Don’t get into your $2,000 version of the idea just yet – save that for the stage!
Hit submit and you are DONE!
In 1978, LeRoy Finkel joined a group of dedicated educators to create CUE, now nationally recognized for its leadership in the promoting technology integration across the curriculum.
LeRoy recognized that technology would become a major factor in the educational process. He maintained an informed perspective and appreciation of the long view that he always eagerly and generously shared as coach and mentor in his books and articles where he praised good products, sniped at bad ones, and scrutinized every aspect of educational computing constantly reminding us to stay focused on the kids and the classroom, on teaching and learning, and on never being satisfied with anything but meeting the highest standards of excellence.
This fellowship honors those efforts and the inspirational spirit of the man.
Searching for the Next LeRoy…
We are looking for more innovators like LeRoy and want to leverage CUE’s network to share their best ideas. The Awards Committee will select four finalists from among each year’s applicants to present their ‘Big Idea’ on stage at CUE’s Spring Conference before a panel of edu-rock stars. On stage, each Finalist will present for 5 minutes on an even bigger version of their idea.
The Fellow will receive a $2,000 grant and will be given a mentor, provided registration and travel to the 2020 ISTE Conference in Anaheim, and invited to write a feature about their idea in OnCUE. The three finalists will each receive $1,000 to implement their idea and will be invited to write and be featured in our OnCUE as well.
Any part or full-time K-20 educator that is a member of CUE working within California or Nevada is eligible to apply. To be considered as a finalist or for the full fellowship, the applicant must be willing to travel to Palm Springs and present their idea on stage at the Spring CUE Conference in March. The selected Fellow should be willing and able to perform the duties and attend the events below before applying.
- $1,000 grant (applicable taxes apply)
- Complimentary registration for the 2020 Spring CUE Conference in Palm Springs
- Invitation to present your Big Idea on stage during the LeRoy’s Big Idea: The Finalists session
- Inclusion in ‘LeRoy Finkel Finalist Update’ column of OnCUE.
- Two 30-minute coaching sessions with a professional presentation coach
- $2,000 grant (applicable taxes apply)
- Registration and travel expenses to the ISTE Conference for the current year.
- Guidance for one year of a professional mentor, recommended by the CUE Board.
- Invitation to write a feature article for OnCUE in the year following the award.
- Invitation to judge a future LeRoy’s Big Idea: The Finalists at Spring CUE.
Please note, all Finalist and Fellowship winners are required to submit a final grant report upon completion of the grant period otherwise awards are subject to appropriate federal & state taxes. CUE does not cover travel or other expenses (other than event registration) for finalists to attend the Spring Conference.
LeRoy’s Big Idea Finalists – 2016
LeRoy’s Big Idea Finalists – 2017
To Contribute to Future LeRoy Fellows:
Recommended donation levels:
- $20,000 – Laureate (max of 1/year) – Presentation of LeRoy Finkel Fellow live on stage! (inc. all benefits below)
- $10,000 – Hero – (max of 3/year) – Introduced to the audience at “LeRoy’s Big Idea” session. (inc. all benefits below)
- $5,000 – Champion – (max of 5/year) – Reserved seating at session + keynotes (inc. all benefits below)
- $2,500 – Advocate – Name listed on the website (inc. all benefits below)
- $1000 – Supporter – Comp registration to Spring CUE Conference
Donations to support the LeRoy Finkel Fellowship can be sent to:
LeRoy Finkel Fellowship Fund
877 Ygnacio Valley Road, Suite 200
Walnut Creek CA 94596